Kid’s Café (KC) is an outreach program at St Paul’s United Methodist Church in South Sioux City with a mission of feeding hungry kids and their families. The program will be managed by a Kid’s Cafe Director who will report directly to the Kid’s Cafe oversight committee of St Paul UMC, and more specifically to the Kid’s Cafe Committee Liaison. The KC Director will be a paid position and will be managed in a similar manner as other paid staff positions at St Paul UMC.
Job Description includes, but is not limited to: Food Ordering/Inventory Management, Menu Planning, Preparation, & Service Execution.
- Prepare a 6 week menu plan. Submit it to Food Bank for Heartland (FBH) following nutritional guidelines as required. This menu will be posted in the pantry.
- Submit check list of groceries that FBH needs to ship monthly.
- Adjust as necessary the 6 week menu plan based on pantry items available from FBH.
- Coordinate the purchase of any additional groceries or serving items required to meet the week menu plan.
- Coordinate meeting the truck, unloading & storage of items delivered by FBH.
- Maintaining a cooking environment that meets State and Federal food safety requirements.
- Maintain safe cooking environment, i.e., Know where extinguishers are located & have knowledge on how to operate them (includes range hood extinguisher) And instruct all kitchen volunteers to know the same.
- Ensure adequate volunteer help is scheduled by Coordinating with the Volunteer Coordinator and the KC Committee Liaison.
- Manage all volunteers; greeters, cooks, cleanup, security, etc. Manage number of volunteers & assign duties as required.
- Manage contact with treasurer regarding any needed purchases and/or expenses.
- Maintain a running inventory report that will be shared with the KC committee on a weekly basis. The Inventory will be segregated into the major nutritional food groups such as fruits, vegetables, meat, etc.
- Inventory will be updated every week noting items used & incoming inventory
- Food inventory with expired dates will be thrown away not used
- A 6 week list of non-food items needed will be given to the Church secretary so the Church can utilize our Church/Community relationships to secure those necessary items.
- Any specific meat needs will be expressed to the KC Committee liaison who will assist in the acquisition of meat items.
- At no times are more than an 8 week supply of any category of food products be collected and inventoried unless extenuating circumstances require such and the appropriate storage process is available to keep the product wholesome. Those circumstances will require pre-approval by the KC Committee.
A weekly Report will be submitted to the KC Committee chairperson that will include:
- The number of individuals fed
- the number of volunteers used & what group they represent
- any additional concerns or issues
Submit all documentation required by FBH in a timely fashion as required by the FBH.Duplicate copies of all to be given to the KC Committee monthly.
- The Director will take Safe Sanctuaries online training and keep it updated as needed. Any associated expense will be reimbursed by the St Paul UMC.
- All donations (monetary or foodstuffs) will be reported to the St Paul UMC Treasurer & the KC Committee Liaison.
- The Director is not responsible for the solicitation of donations, either monetary or in kind, but may assist the KC Committee in those endeavors
- The Director will attend regularly scheduled meetings with KC Committee.
A volunteer Coordinator will be used to assist the Director in the coordination of volunteer workers for the KC program. This person will focus on the following:
- Will coordinate with the Director a list outlining volunteer positions and their duties
- Will work with the committee to develop a list of church and community volunteer groups
- Will develop and manage a 52 week volunteer schedule calendar showing what community group is volunteering to ensure adequate help is available each week.
- Is not responsible for the solicitation of donations, either monetary or in kind, but may assist the KC Committee in those endeavors.
- The VC will report to the KC Committee Liaison through the Director’s reports.
If interested, contact:
Phone: (712) 251-4493